95. Excel Tips - Cause Of Big Excel Files
Cause Of Big Excel Files
We've all been there happily developing our spreadsheet, and all of a sudden, the file size balloons.
Q: How did that happen ??!!
A: Most likely, it's uneven formatting that's causing the problem
Here's a screen shot the tests I performed in Excel.. There are some unexpected results and these are highlighted in red:
So, starting from a new workbook, I investigated the impact on file size of the various actions performed on an entire column of data.
The findings are very interesting, but it's probably best to watch the video to see it in action.
The main conclusions are:
- Formatting entire columns the same does not impact file size
- If you are going to format a large range, format it the same if you can.
- Formatting individual cells is not good for your file size.
- If you have a sheet that is bloated, move the contents to a new sheet, and delete the existing sheet.
- It's not just the formatting you see, but also the formatting you don't see that can bloat your file.
- The bloating symptoms occur when you REMOVE the content from an unevenly formatted area.
Training Video on Causes Of Big Excel Files: