78. Excel Tips - Why Is My Excel File So Big ?
Excel files seem to just get bigger and bigger often balooning in size at the blink of an eye, but how do you find out where all the extra file size is coming from ?
- There is a way to separate out each object in your file, and examine it's contribution to the overall file size
Here's a screen shot of our innocent-looking Excel file:
..and here is where all the file size is coming from:
- in this case, the culprit is clearly Sheet2, so that's where to start looking..
Here's how to do it:
- Save your file
- SaveAs a completely new name so that you can mess about with it
- SaveAs Web page (choose 'Other Formats' in Excel 2007)
- Open Explorer
- Navigate to where you saved the file
- Open the folder with the same name as your file
- Sort descending by the file size
- The largest ojects will be named, and at the top
Training Video on: Why Is My Excel File So Big ?
What next ?
Check out this tip on how to fix a corrupt Spreadsheet... Following these steps will also reduce your file size.
Also check this out:
Also, if you have a recent version of Excel, you can try saving as an XLSB - this is sort of like Excel's equivalent of a zip file.