Teach Yourself Excel Lesson 19 - Freeze Panes
This lesson is on how to freeze the panes. Freezing panes is about keeping the headings in view whilst being able to scroll down to enter data at the end.
To demonstrate why you want to do this:
- Download the starting sheet
- Choose "Review" menu on your ribbon
- Press "Unprotect Sheet"
- Select cell A1
- Press PAGE DOWN on your keyboard
- You'll notice immediately that you're unable to see the headings any more so you now have to guess what each column is.
To keep the headings in view:
- Select cell A2
- Press in sequence: ALT then W then F then F (or select View => Freeze panes from your ribbon)
- Now Press PAGE DOWN
- Headings will still be in view.
- To get back to the 1st row of your data, press CTRL + HOME on your keyboard.
- Where ever you are, that will bring you back
Next Lesson: Teach Yourself Excel Lesson 20 - Sort Data
Training Video on how to freeze panes in Excel: